Subject: xfs yet again...
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/16/1997 00:33:51
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997 03:15:02 -0500 (EST),
   maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> writes:

>>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>>
>>OK. Does using a `nohup' for xfs in /etc/rc work?  There's already a
>>nohup in the standard setup, so that's an acceptable fix.

[ maximum entropy reports  that everything I suggested has no effect: ]

>I can't get xdm started.  If you can tell me everything I need to do
>to set it up starting from a system freshly installed from the recent
>sysinst packages, I can try that too.

I'm using a 5000/150 system where I re-installed, using sysinst to
install onto the current root.  I did that install before I added xdm
and xfs to rc and rc.conf. I copied /etc/rc.conf and /etc/rc from the
latest source tree into /etc, and edited rc.conf to turn on xfs and
xdm.

For me, it Just Works.  both xfs=YES and then starting xinit with
	xinit -- -fp tcp/localhost:7100

and
	xfs=YES
	xdm=YES

work as expected.

I've already removed all the font files and the xserver, and
reinstalled them from the xfont package, in case something there was
different. I will recheck the xdm config, but I don't see how any
local changes there could affect xinit.

Could this be a race condition against something else in /etc/rc?
I think we've ruled out inetd; what else might it be?

Sigh. I'll put a CFB in a 5000/25 (courtesy of Barry Dobyns. Thanks!)
and see if that is any different.  (I'm not suggesting this depends on
the kind of framebuffer in use; I just don't have a 1024x768 monitor.)