Subject: None
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/16/1997 03:15:02
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>OK. Does using a `nohup' for xfs in /etc/rc work?  There's already a
>nohup in the standard setup, so that's an acceptable fix.

It has no effect.  I decided to try "nohup ktrace -i xfs $xfs_flags &"
and look at the output.  From kdump it looks like xfs is installing
its own SIGHUP handler, and a SIGHUP was delivered and handled.  If
I set "xfs=NO" and run xfs manually after logging in, no SIGHUPs are
being delivered.  Full ktrace outputs are at:
	ftp://honey.bernstein.com/pub/entropy/xfs.good.txt
	ftp://honey.bernstein.com/pub/entropy/xfs.stuck.txt

>Or maybe just redirect std{in,out,err} to /dev/null ?

That also had no effect.  Closing 0, 1, and 2 didn't help either.

You also mentioned that xdm starts an xconsole.  I set up my system's
xinitrc to start an xconsole, and that also had no effect.

I can't get xdm started.  If you can tell me everything I need to do
to set it up starting from a system freshly installed from the recent
sysinst packages, I can try that too.

I don't have xfs source code handy, otherwise I'd look at that.  I'm just
about out of ideas at this point...

Cheers,
entropy