Subject: None
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/15/1997 19:27:53
>maximum entropy writes:

>In a normal configuration with xdm, don't you comment out the console
>in /etc/ttys?

... Normally, yes. Not before releases, though.

But I just tried commenting out the console line in /etc/ttys on the
5000/150, and rebooted, and xdm *still* starts okay.

And either with or without that, ps shows xfs's tty as `d-'.

I guess that's because xdm starts an xconsole which grabs the console
device.

But with or without the getty,
	xfs=YES
	xdm=YES
still seems to still work on my machine!

>If getty is never run on the console, the console won't be revoked
>from xfs, and xfs won't get hosed.

OK. Does using a `nohup' for xfs in /etc/rc work?  There's already a
nohup in the standard setup, so that's an acceptable fix.

Or maybe just redirect std{in,out,err} to /dev/null ?