Subject: Re: Query: 3100 graphics-console cursor patch and X11?
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/14/1997 06:50:15
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>Maximum entropy writes:
>>
>>First an unrelated problem:  if I start xfs automatically (xfs=YES
>>/etc/rc.conf), the system freezes when I start X.  If I start xfs
>>manually (xfs &) right before starting X, it works just fine.
>
>Is this still a problem? I tried config'ing
>xfs=YES
>xdm=YES
>on a 5000/150 and  booted it. It worked fine for me.

Note that I did *not* set xdm=YES.  I only set xfs=YES.  I then
rebooted, logged in, and ran startx.  (I had modified startx to add
"-fp tcp/localhost:7100" to the server options.  That worked fine with
xfs started manually via "xfs &" on the command line.)

I did verify yesterday that xfs actually was running (via ps -auxwww).
I will do all the tests you requested later today when I can get at
the console, and send you the output.  (I'll include the ps output as
well, on the assumption that you wanted to see flags and not just an
existence test.)  I will also try with xdm=YES.

Cheers,
entropy