Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3alpha
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/14/1997 14:24:46
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:38:32 -0700  "emanuel stiebler" wrote:

> Hi all,

G'day!

> first, my machine: decstation 5000/133, KN02-BA V5.7j 48MByte DRAM, PMAG-BA Graphics
> running Ultrix 4.3 (Rev 44), for 3-4 years without any problem. (i mean hardware should be ok)
> 	disk-conf:	rz0	400 MByte ultrix 4.3
> 			rz1	500 MByte netbsd helper disk
> 			rz2 	3 GByte NetBSD destination
>

> On this machine, was no way to boot with bootp.
> 	(buggy EPROM ?)
> 	all i got was
>
> 	1032640?IO: 3/tftp, aout err (-5)

Sounds suspicious.  All I've ever seen in the KN02-BA range is
V2.<something> - I've never seen a V5.<something>.  The only V5 PROMs
I've seen are on 5000/240's.  I'll add it to my list of "problem"
machines.  How old is the machine?

> 2. boot of rz1.
>    set TERM to pmax
>    try "sysinst -r "" ". I got only a Segmentation fault.

Hmm.  Did you "export TERM" before running sysinst? If you didn't, you
should have got a message about TERM not being set.

> 4. now tried "sysinst -r "" "
>    sysinst starts. i tried install to harddisk.
>    looks good, making new filessystem on rz2, all ok.
>    then i tried to install via FTP from a local machine.
>    can't get the files!!!. for a short time i can see, that the filename
> are wrong

Ok, this is a problem because there is a file called "kernels.tar.gz"
and not "kern.tar.gz" in the distribution directory.  I'll fix this now
if it's not done already.

> Wishlist:
>
> 	please put some sleep(5) in all warnings/error in sysinst. it is very hard to
>         read the errors/warnings because they are only visible for a moment, then the
>         screen is cleared.

This one isn't too easy. sysinst runs a lot of external commands (like
tar, newfs & disklabel), and it's these external commands that produce
the error messages. sysinst itself doesn't really know there are error
messages happening.

> 	in sysinst, would be a nice feature, if i could install from a local directory.
> 	(review the tar filenames ?)
>         ( in the case of a netbsd/helper system, or already mounted nfs)

Do you mean a directory browser type of thing?  I'll add this to
sysinst's TODO list.

> Problems:
>
> 	many time i get a SCC 0,1 : silo overflow
>
> 	in ld.so.conf is a wrong directory, should be /usr/X11R6/lib not /usr/X11R6.3/lib

Jonathan (I hope!) was looking into this.

> 	at the end of " a sample 1.3 README for X11" the directory of xdm/Xservers is wrong (?)

> P.S. sorry for my english

You're doing fine!

Simon.