Subject: Re: Query: 3100 graphics-console cursor patch and X11?
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1997 20:44:02
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>>Can  someone confirm that the cursor fix works properly
>
>First an unrelated problem:  if I start xfs automatically (xfs=YES
>/etc/rc.conf), the system freezes when I start X.  If I start xfs
>manually (xfs &) right before starting X, it works just fine.

Could you please send me some info from right after you boot
but before starting X:

   * output of  ps -auxww | grep  xfs
   * output of netstat -Aa (look for port 7100)
   * contents of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/fs-errors

(The problem might well be obvious from these.)

>>       A) when X11 is started -- the Xserver gets to show a cursor
>
>Works fine.

Great. This part is fixed, and should show up in tomorrow's sup, or
possibly Saturday's.

>>       b) after X11 exits
>
>When I quit X, I'm left with an X "X" cursor in the upper left-hand
>corner of the screen.  I'd guess that whatever was done about the
>"white blob" on system startup needs to be done when X exits, too.

I've sent maximum entropy a patch that should fix this, too.
Anyone else who's interested can have a copy.