Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3 Alpha
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Pelan <johnp@am.qub.ac.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1997 23:17:58
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, emanuel stiebler wrote:

> here are my experiences installing the 1.3alpha ...

And here are mine...

Machine: DECStation 3100, KN01 v7.03, 24MB RAM, 100MB RZ23
         Using 2.1 as a helper.

Kernel:  1.3_ALPHA, 1392442 bytes, compiled Nov 12, netbsd.aout

Gets past previous 'sii' problem and all looks well !

I am having trouble using the X server to query remote machines though.

* Remote Font Server *
----------------------

> X -fp tcp/fontserver:7100 -query somemachine

  "failed to set default font path"
  "could not open default font 'fixed'".

  Where 'fontserver' is a local X11 font servering machine.
  The IP address can be resolved and there is network connectivity.

* Local Font Server *

> xfs &
> X -fp tcp/localhost:7100 -query somemachine

   Ok, get nice X cursor followed by totally black/blank screen.

Any suggestions ?  I should say that 'startx' works fine for local X
sessions but I'm more interested in using the machine as an X-terminal.
BTW I'm using the files x*.tar.gz from the 3.1A binary directory.

John P.