Subject: Problems with 1.3alpha
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1997 12:38:32
Hi all,

here are my experiences installing the 1.3alpha ...

first, my machine: decstation 5000/133, KN02-BA V5.7j 48MByte DRAM, PMAG-BA
Graphics
running Ultrix 4.3 (Rev 44), for 3-4 years without any problem. (i mean
hardware should be ok)
	disk-conf:	rz0	400 MByte ultrix 4.3
			rz1	500 MByte netbsd helper disk
			rz2 	3 GByte NetBSD destination

On this machine, was no way to boot with bootp.
	(buggy EPROM ?)
	all i got was

	1032640?IO: 3/tftp, aout err (-5)

what I've done to get netbsd1.3alpha running (walking?)

1. got the diskimage via FTP (today, 13.Nov), diskdumped it on the rz1.

2. boot of rz1.
   set TERM to pmax
   try "sysinst -r "" ". I got only a Segmentation fault.

3. settin up, rz1 all manually. (thanks Gregory McGarrys installation
Notes)
   a.) boot 3/rz1/netbsd
   b.) mount -u /
   c.) disklabel -r rz1a >/tmp/label
   d.) edit the label
   e.) disklabel -r -R -B -b /usr/mdec/rzboot -s /usr/mdec/bootrz rz1
/tmp/label
   f.) newfs on rz1d
   g.) mount /dev/rz1d /usr
   h.) untar all of the tar.gz
   i.) edit fstab
   j.) edit hosts
   k.) edit rc.conf
   l.) create /etc/ifconfig.le0

  m.) boot 3/rz1/netbsd -aN

4. now tried "sysinst -r "" "
   sysinst starts. i tried install to harddisk.
   looks good, making new filessystem on rz2, all ok.
   then i tried to install via FTP from a local machine.
   can't get the files!!!. for a short time i can see, that the filename
are wrong

5. ok, i untared i all manually.

   the system is now running, without X-Windows.

   how to set up this manually ?

	I've done

	ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xcfbpmax /usr/X11R6/bin/X
	ln -s /dev/fb0 /dev/mouse
	ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib /store
	/usr/X11R6/bin/xfs &
	/usr/X11/R6/bin/X -fp tcp/localhost:7100

	append /usr/X11R6/bin to PATH

	xinit

	this switch to the x-windows screen.

	how to kill it ?

Wishlist:

	please put some sleep(5) in all warnings/error in sysinst. it is very hard
        read the errors/warnings because they are only visible for a
moment, then the
        screen is cleared.

	in sysinst, would be a nice feature, if i could install from a local
directory.
	(review the tar filenames ?)
        ( in the case of a netbsd/helper system, or already mounted nfs)

Problems:

	many time i get a SCC 0,1 : silo overflow

	in ld.so.conf is a wrong directory, should be /usr/X11R6/lib not
/usr/X11R6.3/lib

	at the end of " a sample 1.3 README for X11" the directory of xdm/Xservers
is wrong (?)

	Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun playing with this again. Hope, somebody
will get some use
	out of my playing around. Thanks to everybody who is working on this !!!

emu.

P.S. sorry for my english