Subject: Re: Suggested pmax disks?
To: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1997 01:47:34
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 03:07:23 -0500 (EST),
 Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us> writes:

>I'm finally going to put a disk in my MAXINE for NetBSD, I'm wondering
>if the SCSI problems with older disks are offically gone?

Yes, they are Officially Gone.  I haven't been able to trip over any
recently, and with the 1.3 release, I've tried fairly hard.

>I've got a full height HP prime (97546DP) 660meg dirve. Or a dinky maxtor
>LXT-213 (i.e. those old 200meg SPARC ones) Or, for some real fun an old
>Imprimis

Pleae get the latest 1.3_ALPHA and try it out.  It works fine on some
old full-height Fujitsu drives here. Should be fine.

I think the problems with the ioasic machines was often with poor
cables and termination in salvaged machines, plus some software timing
problems and startup logic with *newer*, faster disks. Those are now
well and truly squashed.  Michael's performance tuning has improved
SCSI throughput by up to 50% with fast drives on the ioasic SCSI bus.