Subject: Re: FPU error on a DS31000
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/13/1997 10:07:32
Hi.

> One of my DS3100 always stops on power-up at Test 4. I tryed different
> tests by hand, and `t F` showed the following:
>
> t F
> checking FPU
> FPU - error # 00000007
>
> Has anyone and idea what this error means?

Self diagnostic tells you your FPU has malfunction.  It'd better to replace
it, if possilbe with DS3100.

Our site once had 200+ Personal Decstation DS5000/25, and we replaced
24 CPU/FPU module units out of them due to FPU hardware error for 3 years.

The symptoms were; diagnotic refuses to proceed telling FPU error.  X
server draws gabage bits on screen, especially with oclock's round
shape.  System crashs intermittently.  We suspected the FPU lot delivered
to us had a sort of fabrication error.  The CPU/FPU units were marked
"PACEMIPS" with large star shape logo combined with "PERFORMANCE" name.
If that's your case, I'm sure your FPU is getting dead.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology