Subject: A sample 1.3 README for X11
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1997 22:30:35
>Just my $.02 on this:
>
>The fonts in the latest snapshot seems to be incomplete. I had the same
>problem, and switched back to the fonts-directories from a previous
>snapshot. (It's always nice to keep backups close...)

Sorry, I thought I had said this. Clearly it needs to go into a
README: any suggestions for with this?

--------

The Xserver distribution for NetBSD 1.3. includes two X server binaries:

    Xcfbpmax, for  8bit-pixel-stride displays:
	Decstation 2100/3100 baseboard cfb	(1024x876x8)
	PMAG-B Turbochannel cfb framebuffer    (1024x876x8)
	PMAGB-BA Turbochannel sfb framebuffer	(1280x1024x8)
	Turbochannel SFB  framebuffer		(1280x1024x8)
	Personal Decstation baseboard video	(1024x768x8)

	PMAG-A Turbochannel MFB  framebuffer	(1280x1024x1)

    For these displays, do
	ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xcfbpmax -> X

    Xmfbpmax, for 1bit -pixel-stride displays:
	Decstation 2100/3100 baseboard mono	(1024x768x1)
    For this display, do
	ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xmfbpmax -> X

The X server binaries in NetBSD/pmax are compile from X11R5 source.
That's because the kernel API implemented in NetbSD/pmax is the same
API used by X11R5 and implemented in 4.3BSD, Ultrix 3.x, and Ultrix
4.0 and 4.1.

The X11R6 Xservers use a new API, Xws, which is implemented in Ultrix
4.2.  Servers that require the Xws interface (the X11R6 Xdec server,
or the vendor-supplied servers for PMAG-C and PMAG-D/PMAG-E options)
are not supported.

There is one major user-visible change between X11R5 and X11R6
servers: they use different font-alias files (and font-path options).
The rest of NetBSD's X11 distribution, including the fonts, are X11R6.
The X11R5 Xservers will not find the required fonts at startup time
if it direclty searches an X11R6 font directory.

To work around this, you should start xfs by setting
	xfs=YES
in your rc.conf, and starting your Xserver with the option

	-fp tcp/localhost:7100

instead of the normal X11R6 font path.  This tells the R5 Xserver to
fetch its fonts from the R6 xfs server, which will correctly searches
the R6 font alias files.

 For xdm, change the /usr/lib/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers file to start the
Xserver with:

	/usr/X11R6/bin/X -fp tcp/localhost:7100

A similar change is required for xinit/startx.