Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 fans too loud...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Paul Evans <paule@shadowfax.martex.gen.oh.us>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1997 17:16:57
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > Any suggestions?  The fans are currently loud enough that
> > I don't really want to leave the box on -- the noise is
> > annoying even in the next room.  Please tell me that I
> > can save it, somehow, as it has been a pretty fun box so far...
>
> Chances are that something's stuck in the fan.   My advice would be to

Blowing back through the fan when it's off can help get stuff out. (usally
a big cloud of dust)

You could try angling the fan around to see if it's quieter when slanted. If
so, chances are the bearings have loosened over time.

Also, try a good smart slap on the offending fans. (make sure there's no
5.25 disks in the same cabinet. At least, park the heads first.)

> take it apart and see (be careful not to get zapped, though)... >

This is the most useful advice yet. ;)

> 			       _MelloN_

	-Paul

--