Subject: assembler warnings with 1.3_ALPHA
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1997 21:59:36
Hello!

I started with a snapshot from august (1.2G) at my DECstation 3100, and
I compiled current (e.g. 1.3_ALPHA until 6.11.97) on it frequently the last
days. I noticed that the pmax port uses the GNU binutils different from
"common" ports (e.g. the ones I used so far: amiga, hp300 and i386).

So I decided to compile binutils 2.8.1 - and it works - as good/bad as
the binutils that came with the august snapshot. But on both I see the
following kind of assembler warning on _many_ source files:

cc -O -DNLS -DYP -DLIBC_SCCS -DSYSLIBC_SCCS -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/src/lib/libc/inc
lude -D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -DFLOATING_POINT -fPIC -I/usr/src/l
ib/libc/arch/mips -DPIC -DABICALLS -Werror -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-p
rototypes -Wpointer-arith  -c /usr/src/lib/libc/gmon/mcount.c
/var/tmp/cc12351a.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp/cc12351a.s:233: Warning: No .cprestore pseudo-op used in PIC code

Its always this kind of messages, sometimes even more warnings on one file,
and it is distributed over the whole source tree.

So is there a patch one has to apply to binutils 2.8.1? Or do I see some
kind of strange hardware error (e.g. bad memory, heat problems, whatever)?

I also see a small "white" (its the mono framebuffer of the DS3100) square
in the middle of the console - it appears when booting a kernel, and disappears
when halting the system - is there some kind of bug in the code or is this a
hardware problem?

Appart from obove strangeness, the machine works quite nice, e.g. the
binaries which I get work as expected, and I can use the console, the
white square (I guess 10 to 10 pixels) just sits in the middle, text
scrolls like expected on the rest.

Thanx for any help at advance!

Greets
      Thorsten