Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 fans too loud...
To: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv-list@bedford.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1997 12:18:52
> My DECstation 3100 fans are amazingly loud.  It wasn't
> always this way, but in the last few months it has gotten
> really bad.  I tried taking out the power supply and vacuuming
> it out, I even gave it a bath, and nothing helps.  I'd just pop
> out the fans and put in new ones, but the fans appear to be
> riveted in.
>
> Any suggestions?  The fans are currently loud enough that
> I don't really want to leave the box on -- the noise is
> annoying even in the next room.  Please tell me that I

Yeow!

> can save it, somehow, as it has been a pretty fun box so far...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Are you sure they're rivets? Maybe you have to go in from the inside.
Rivets just don't sound "DECish". Well if they are, drill 'em out (Dremel).

Sounds like the bearings are going bad in the fans.  You can get
cheap surplus fans from C&H sales, Pasadena, CA. (no web page :().

Another list to try is "decstation-managers", darned if i know its
host, though.

Hmm, nasa.gov????  Get friendly with the dead equipment guy at work.
Some of these dudes have whole closets of pmax parts :)

Dave