Subject: Re: X-windows trouble
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: User ZOMBIE <zombie@il.fontys.nl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/11/1997 09:15:03
> BTW, since you're running the ALPHA snapshot: feedback on the
> installation procedure, the current NOTES, and on sysinst would be
> very welcome.  It's quite usable as-is, but I'd like to make it even
> better.

OK, you asked for it ;)

I started the installation attempt with 1.2, which worked fine (netbooted
using a Linux machine as BOOTP/NFS server), until the point where I wanted
to disklabel the internal harddisk. Somehow my devs weren't populated
correctly and no rz* devices were generated. Hence, no disklabel.

After downloading the 1.3Alpha and setting up on the Linux machine I got
some trouble netbooting. Somehow with the 1.3 it didn't get a correct
bootparamd reply (getfh() errors about being unable to find a path to root).

This is where things get creepy. I populated a devs with the 1.3 MAKEDEV and
netbooted the 1.2 kernel. I was then able to disklabel the internal harddisk
and untar the distribution files.

After this the machine could boot 1.3 from internal harddrive. I actually
haven't used sysinst (yet); we configured the machine practically by hand.

Somewhere at this point we ran into the trouble with X.
 ______
   /  /   | \/ |  | | __|		http://www.il.fontys.nl/~zombie
|______|__|_||_|__|_|\__|		zombie@charm.il.fontys.nl
					mb470@hi.fontys.nl
Treasurer and BOFH of IGV InterLink; Supreme Commander of FCG.

#define QUESTION ((2b || !2b)) -- Shakespeare in C