Subject: Re: Two problems
To: None <jeffm@eznet.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/05/1997 21:02:15
On Wed, 05 Nov 1997 11:27:20 -0500, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@eznet.net> writes:

>I'm having two problems with my system that I can't explain.

>1) When there is a lot of TTY output (ie: man page, vi startup) the terminal
>   sometimes locks up completely.

>2) The clock is just going nutty. I'm using xntpd, which is synching with
>   3 stratum 2 ntp servers, and our primary time server.

>   Any information that will assist in a solution will be gladly provided.

The old early-August snapshot kernel has a bug in the baseboard
Ethernet driver for ioasic machines. (The kernel accidentally included
some performance-instrument code in the Ethernet driver, but the
corresponding counters were not allocated.)

This causes the kernel to bump the kernel variable `tick' by one
microsecond per Ethernet interrupt.

The fix is simple: rebuild your own kernel or install a newer snapshot
(like the 1.3_ALPHA snapshot.)