Subject: Re: two questions to DECstation 3100
To: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: D. J. Vanecek <djv-list@bedford.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/1997 16:35:15

> Hello!
>
> My second question is hardware related. I got another DECstation 3100,
> which does not pass all power up tests (the 6-5-4-3-2-1-0 stuff). It
> stops at 4 - the manual does not say anything about it (just "contact
> someone from DEC). Does anyone know what test 4 does and why it can
> fail? Surprisingly the machine does work anyway - I just have to reset
> after I powerd freshly up - the test stil fails after the reset, but
> it boots whit "auto" or boot.

The last number displayed is the test that failed

7	Video Sim Module
6	VDAC and PCC
5	DZ serial line
4	System Module 		Check SCSI cable and terminator.
				Run these extended self tests
				Cache
				Color Mask
				CSR
				FPU
				RTC
				TLB
				Write Buf

3	Keyboard and Mouse
2	Network Interface
1	Disk
0	None. Test end indicator.

You are probably seeing the test LEDS on rear of case display 0111 1111.

To run extended self tests:

	Cache			t c
	Color Mask		(couldn't find)
	CSR			t R
	FPU			t F
	RTC			t r
	TLB			t t
	Write Buf		t w

t a   runs all selftests, (more than just these).

There are several self test modes, set with

	t M d	shows currently set modes

	t M arg	sets modes, where arg is a mode
		arg:
			h	halt on error (toggle)
			l	loop on error (toggle)
			m	manufacturer/debug
			u	user mode
Default power-on mode:
	Halt On Error, No Loop on Error, User

Enabling manu. mode will/may "destroy data on customer media", i.e. the disk.
but is more thorough than user mode tests.

This is all from a DEC manual, whose title I do not know. (A friend copied
it, and saved paper by not copying the title or trailer pages. :( )

Dave