Subject: two questions to DECstation 3100
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/24/1997 22:29:04
Hello!

I got the latest pmax snapshot (august 97) installed on my DECstation
3100. Now I wanted to compile from my current source tree, and started
with compiling a new kernel, I used conf/DS3100 for that. But the
resulting kernel gets not booted - "bad format" :-( I can stil load the
old kernel. My current sources are from 13.10.1997 - I will update
to 1.3-alpha next week, but I thought I ask if there are some cotchas
for DECstation 3100 at the moment.

My second question is hardware related. I got another DECstation 3100,
which does not pass all power up tests (the 6-5-4-3-2-1-0 stuff). It
stops at 4 - the manual does not say anything about it (just "contact
someone from DEC). Does anyone know what test 4 does and why it can
fail? Surprisingly the machine does work anyway - I just have to reset
after I powerd freshly up - the test stil fails after the reset, but
it boots whit "auto" or boot.

Greets
      Thorsten

PS: Just another note: in bootmode of a DECstation 2100/3100 one can
    type `test -c` which prints some info about the machine
    (amount of memory, ethernet adress, scsi slots). The INSTALL and
    installation page at www.netbsd.org just mentions cnfg for the
    5000 series. Maybe this should be added...
--

   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: s_frueau@ira.uka.de oder ukfy@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de     \X/