Subject: Re: disklabel question (a different one this time)
To: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1997 17:40:26
On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Paul Bickford wrote:

> OK, I'm trying to prepare a drive on my DS3100 to install NetBSD onto, but
> I keep getting the following error:
>
> # disklabel -w -B -b rzboot -s bootrz rz1 st
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Open partition would move or shrink.
> #
>
> [note: disk type "st" refers to a Seagate ST1480N drive]
>
> I have NOT mounted rz1 anyplace, and the only thing my machine is looking
> at is rz0 (specifically, the "a" partition). Replacing "rz1" in the above
> command with "/dev/rz1a", "/dev/rz1c", "/dev/rrz1c", etc., has no effect.

I think the problem is that your new disklabel will move BOTH the a and
the c partitions, so the partition which was opened for modification will
move.

I think the thing to do is look at what the disklabel will set say the a
partition to, manually edit the disklabel on the other partition (c here)
which can change the disklabel making a be what it will eventually be.
_Then_ do the full disklabel write on the partition you just changed above
(a here). It won't be changing this time.

Take care,

Bill