Subject: 1.2 kernel for NetBSD/pmax - DECstation 3100?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <frueauf@ira.uka.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/20/1997 23:07:05
Hello!

I got my hands on a DECstation 3100 and want to install NetBSD on it.
To my surprise I saw that there is no 1.2.1 snapshot for pmax - right?

So I read the installation page on www.netbsd.org and feared that I have
to go the two-harddisk-miniroot way - but I gave tftp a try - et voila -
I was able to boot the DECstation 3100 from my NetBSD/amiga machine -
using the base.tar.gz and netboot/ecoff kernels from the 1.2 snapshot.

So far so good - but now I have problems labeling the local hard drives.
I was able to write a label on the 100MB DEC drive (found an entry in
/etc/disktab for it) - but when I try to `disklabel -e rz2` - a
Quantum LP240S - I always get "there exists no label" after quiting vi :-(

How is the proper way to write a label to a new disk on pmax?

What do I need to know about reserved blocks at the boot drive? Do I have to
reserve 2 cyls for the bootblock?

And finally, I would need to get a 1.2 GENERIC kernel, which is loadable
from the root partition - the 1.2 release dir has only the ecoff netboot
kernels? Where can I download such a beast?

I tryed to `boot -f rz(0,3,0)netbsd` with the rz3 DEC drive and the ecoff
kernel - no luck.

When I got over above hurdles, I would like to compile current for it -
any cotchas that are known while doing this?

Thanx for any help in advance!

Greets
      Thorsten