Subject: Re: Problems installing NetBSD
To: Jorgen Pehrson <jorgen.pehrson@seinf.mail.abb.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/18/1997 03:37:02
On Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:22:37 +0100,
    Jorgen Pehrson <jorgen.pehrson@seinf.mail.abb.com> writes:

[Simon Burge writes;]
>> The PMAG-FA in slot 1 is your problem - I think it's one of the cards
>> that uses an Intel i860 in a completely undocumented way.  At the
>> moment, your only choice is to run with a serial console (you have to
>> remove the card), or to use a supported graphics card (either PMAG-A,
>> PMAG-B or PMAGB-B).

That's almost correct. Jorgen does not strictly need to remove the card,
But for TC video options, only the PMAG-A, PMAG-B, or PMAG-BA are
supported.

>Ok. Will the Decstation go into serial console mode as soon as I remove
>the PMAG-FA? Or do I have to enable the serial console in some way?

It should *already* be in serial-console mode. That's why you don't
see anything.

On a 5000/200, you do not even need to remove the PMAG-F.
The kernel will fall back to serial mode automatically.  This is true
for all DECstations except the 5000/1xx (KMIN) achssis, where, due to
the interrupt structure, you currently have to remove unsupported
TurboChannel options (PMAG-D/E/F, PMAG-V, and FDDI boards.)

(i.e., NetBSD will work with unsupported boards in 5000/xx and 500/2xx).

I thought that both the Web pages explained this, and that I'd
answered this via email.  Does the wording need to be clearer?