Subject: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation? (trying something new)
To: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
From: Reini (Reinhold Huber) <Reinhold.Huber@Fachschaften.TU-Muenchen.DE (Reinhold Huber)>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/17/1997 10:29:26
Hello!

> This simply creates a new (big) file called "sd1c". I assumed that I should
> try a command to the effect of:
> 	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1c
That's right. Sorry for forgetting that.

> However, when I try that (or "/dev/rsd1c"), I get the following error:
> 	"device not configured"
>
> So, I re-labeled the disk so that the "a" partition spans the entire disk,
> removed all the other partitions, and lastly "newfs /dev/sd1a".
>
> Then, I:
> 	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1a
>
> and get no errors.
>
> So, I then take the sd1 drive and install it in the DS3100 (after changing
> its SCSI ID to zero).
>
> >* Connect the disk to your pmax again.
>
> Done.
>
> >* Boot it from prom typing
> >  boot -f rz(0,X,0)netbsd
> >  where X is the SCSI ID of your disk.
>
> boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd
>
> which returns the error:
> ?417 btblk fmt
> ?470 bt err: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
>
> What now?

never seen that before, sorry. I'd try lending the OpenBSD image, now.
That one is on: ftp.openbsd.org, directory:
/pub/OpenBSD/2.1/pmax/simpleroot21.fs.gz
The kernel is called simply 'bsd', there.
Don't use their install script, but get you a '#' prompt and work from
there.

> (seems like we're getting closer, though!)
I hope so.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber