Subject: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation? (trying something new)
To: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/17/1997 08:16:29
On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Paul Bickford wrote:

..
.. >  - type
.. >
.. >     dd if=32M-diskimage of=sdXc

Yeah, this is bad -- it will create a file sdXc in the current directory.

..
.. This simply creates a new (big) file called "sd1c". I assumed that I should
.. try a command to the effect of:
.. 	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1c
..
.. However, when I try that (or "/dev/rsd1c"), I get the following error:
.. 	"device not configured"
..
.. So, I re-labeled the disk so that the "a" partition spans the entire disk,
.. removed all the other partitions, and lastly "newfs /dev/sd1a".
..
.. Then, I:
.. 	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1a

When copying to a raw device, i.e. outside of the file system, you
should copy to /dev/rsd1a instead of /dev/sd1a (or as some has already
mentioned: to /dev/rsd1d on an i386).

..
.. and get no errors.
..
.. So, I then take the sd1 drive and install it in the DS3100 (after changing
.. its SCSI ID to zero).
..
.. >* Connect the disk to your pmax again.
..
.. Done.
..
.. >* Boot it from prom typing
.. >  boot -f rz(0,X,0)netbsd
.. >  where X is the SCSI ID of your disk.
..
.. boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd
..
.. which returns the error:
.. ?417 btblk fmt
.. ?470 bt err: rz(0,0,0)netbsd
..

Yes, by not copying to the raw device, you did not get the boot blocks
and disklabel written.

- Erik Bertelsen