Subject: Re: [Q] DS3100 installation? (trying something new)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/16/1997 14:31:25
[message re-sent 'cause I'm not sure if the first one made it out...]

At 10:37 AM 10/16/97 +0100, Reini (Reinhold Huber) wrote:

>Don't get too confused and do the following:

These instructions are better than what the FAQ had (at least in my
circumstance).

>* Get yourself the file NetBSD/arch/pmax/32M-diskimage.gz
>* Unzip it our build a pipeline to dd which gunzips it for you.

Did this. Installed it in /user/users/pmax/32M-diskimage on my i386 boot
disk (sd0).

>* dd that onto the disk you want to boot your 3100 first. It is very much
>  easier if you have two disks, but let's boot the machine first :)
>  - Connect the boot harddisk to your i386 and find out its device.

It is known as "sd1". It is very likely that the disklabel is bogus (see

>  - type
>
>     dd if=32M-diskimage of=sdXc

This simply creates a new (big) file called "sd1c". I assumed that I should
try a command to the effect of:
	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1c

However, when I try that (or "/dev/rsd1c"), I get the following error:
	"device not configured"

So, I re-labeled the disk so that the "a" partition spans the entire disk,
removed all the other partitions, and lastly "newfs /dev/sd1a".

Then, I:
	dd if=32M-diskimage of=/dev/sd1a

and get no errors.

So, I then take the sd1 drive and install it in the DS3100 (after changing
its SCSI ID to zero).

>* Connect the disk to your pmax again.

Done.

>* Boot it from prom typing
>  boot -f rz(0,X,0)netbsd
>  where X is the SCSI ID of your disk.

boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd

which returns the error:
?417 btblk fmt
?470 bt err: rz(0,0,0)netbsd

What now?

(seems like we're getting closer, though!)

Paul.

--
Paul Bickford
Network Coordinator, FSTRF Inc.