Subject: [Q] DS3100 installation? (was: [Q] disklabel error)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Bickford <bickford@jimmy.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/15/1997 07:59:26
At 10:03 AM 10/15/97 +0900, you wrote:
>> Hi, all: I'm trying install NetBSD onto a DS3100 (24MB RAM), and am using a
>> i386 NetBSD machine as my "helper."
>>

>Let me clarify some.  Your ST1480 is attached with NetBSD/i386, and
>you have 'cross-compiled' disklabel command *specifically* designed
>for NetBSD/pmax, or, I'm afraid, you are using NetBSD/i386 disklabel
>to install NetBSD/pmax bootblock?  If latter case, it won't work
>because every NetBSD/xxx implementation has different bootblock
>structure peculiar to each platform.
>
>Is it impossible for you to go the way for 'network boot + network install'?
>
>Tohru Nishimura
>Nara Institute of Science and Technology

Thanks for that claification. Now my problems seem to make sense.

However, since my disk label is incorrect (which I kinda assumed), and it's
impossible for me to label the disk using the i386 version of disklabel,
what can I do?

Forgive my ignorance, but how can I get NetBSD onto a DS3100, then? If,
according to the "Installing NetBSD on a PMAX" faq, "...you may have no
option but to construct a bootable disk using a _miniroot_ and a helper
machine," and my helper machine can't label the disk, I seem to be at an
impasse.

So I don't waste any more time on this now seemingly impossible task, how
would *you* (the PMAX community) install NetBSD on a formerly diskless
DS3100 (now with a Seagate ST1480 HD), given that a stand-alone i386 NetBSD
machine is your only available helper? Is it even ppossible under these
circumstances?

[And a note about that i386 machine: it can't see/use/configure the
ethernet card: a 3COM 3C509_B_-TPO, so any "diskless booting", even if
theroretically possible, is currently impossible.]

More than a little frustrated,

Paul.