Subject: Re: [Q] disklabel error...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/15/1997 10:03:22
Hi, and welcome to NetBSD world.

> Hi, all: I'm trying install NetBSD onto a DS3100 (24MB RAM), and am using a
> i386 NetBSD machine as my "helper." The DS3100 does /not/ have any OS
> currently installed on it (it was a diskless workstation salvaged from the
> trash).
>
> My problem is this: when I try to label the disk (a Seagate ST1480 SCSI
> ~411MB HD), I get the following output:
>	netbsd# disklabel -B -b rzboot -s bootrz sd1
>	disklabel: Bootstrap doesn't leave room for disk label.
>	netbsd# disklabel -r sd1

Let me clarify some.  Your ST1480 is attached with NetBSD/i386, and
you have 'cross-compiled' disklabel command *specifically* designed
for NetBSD/pmax, or, I'm afraid, you are using NetBSD/i386 disklabel
to install NetBSD/pmax bootblock?  If latter case, it won't work
because every NetBSD/xxx implementation has different bootblock
structure peculiar to each platform.

Is it impossible for you to go the way for 'network boot + network install'?

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology