Subject: Re: Some answers about installation [was Re: miniroot]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/11/1997 13:05:22
On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:54:30 -0700  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >(4) Has anyone determined the sequence of events required to make a boot
> >    tape on the tk50 drive?  Those with a one-system,one-drive,with-a-tape-
> >    drive setup would most likely jump for joy.
>
> No. At least, I haven't.  I just don't want to deal with TK50s ever
> again.  If someone sends me a TK50Z and beer-equivalents, i might get
> around to it sometime after I finish my thesis.

Umm, how many TZ50's do you want :-)  Below is some info on bootable
tapes - I don't know how helpful it'll be...

Simon.
~From: juh@IPA.FhG.de (Juergen Henke)
~Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
~Subject: Re: Get ULTRIX 4.4 from CD to TK70?
~Date: 13 Aug 1994 11:28:42 GMT

Chris> goeran@allcon.net writes:
>>we have the new ULTRIX 4.4 Release on CD-ROM. But our VAX 6000-420 doesn't
>>have any CD-ROM drive in it.

Chris> You coudl swipe a CD-ROM drive from another machine, recompile the kernel
Chris> to allow for the device (although you might have allowed for it already)
Chris> and reboot the machine with the CD-ROM.

This of course he could do, if he had a SCSI interface card in the BI bus
of the 6000 (these interfaces are somewhat expensive).

>>Is there a way to get 4.4 installed with al litte trick? Maybe writing an
>>image of the CD-ROM to an TK70-Tape with "dd" and boot from tape. Or should
>>we get TK70 installation tapes from DEC?

Chris> I've tried this, and could never get it to work.

Some time ago there was a posting in this newsgroup about the contents
of a "setld"able tape and a bootable tape. May be you could use your 4.2
tape to get the bootstrap you need ?

Juergen