Subject: Some answers about installation [was Re: miniroot]
To: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/10/1997 18:54:30
Rob Windsor writes:

>I have some questions:

>(1) Has a miniroot with a usable (read: has ftp(1)) /usr been created with
>    -current?

Don't think so.  I thought ftp was already on the miniroot?

However, there is a 32Mbyte diskimage which can be dd'ed directly onto
an entire-raw-disk partition and booted, without any
disklabelling. That _should_ have an FTP binary.

The diskimage is now the recommended method if you can't netboot.

>(2) Does booting from swap work yet?  (NetBSD/sparc can do this now, fyi).

No. It's not ever going to, either.  The PROMs Just Will Not Do It, if
they _could_ theyd be using an Ultrix chpt disklable, not a BSD label,
and anyway, how do you find the swap partition if the drive isn't
already labelled?

>(3) Is there going to be an ascii representation of the install instructions
>    for the 1.3 release?  Using html for install documentation is painful
>    (for the person doing the install).

It would help a __lot__ if someone could transcribe them into ASCII,
in the format in /usr/src/distrib/notes.

And take notes from areal install of tips that would be helpful,
but arent' there.

>(3a) The syntax to specify the boot drive on a DS3100 is
>     "boot -f rz(0,#,0)<kernel>" (where <kernel> is the name of the kernel
>     that you want to load).  This is omitted from the current incantation
>     of the install instructions on the web.

Oof. I think  suggested setting bootpath instead.   Please send a PR.

>(4) Has anyone determined the sequence of events required to make a boot
>    tape on the tk50 drive?  Those with a one-system,one-drive,with-a-tape-
>    drive setup would most likely jump for joy.

No. At least, I haven't.  I just don't want to deal with TK50s ever
again.  If someone sends me a TK50Z and beer-equivalents, i might get
around to it sometime after I finish my thesis.