Subject: Parts?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Gapen <jagapen@students.wisc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/07/1997 15:28:01
    I know this isn't directly related to this list, but it seems like one of
the better places to ask.  A little background:
    At the beginning of the summer, I got a pair of DS3100 machines from the
local university surplus sale for $5 each.  If it's not Mac or Wintel, they're
not sure what to do with it.  Unfortunately, they seem to think that all
keyboards and mice are created equal, and routinely strip them from machines
for sale.  Some time later, I did locate an LK401 in their big pile o'
keyboards, verified that the machines pass all self-tests, and proceeded to
try a NetBSD/pmax install.
    Now, the only other machine I have with an ethernet board is the AT&T 3B1.
 Even if it had the TCP/IP software, it doesn't support TFTP service, so
that's no go.  The only machine with a SCSI controller is my old Amiga 500,
and it has a tiny hard drive.  So, I can download the miniroot or diskimage
files to my A4000, and have a program on the A500 read those files across a
parallel port network and write them to one of the RZ23 drives.
    Amazingly enough, the DS3100 actually boots!  Well, sorta kinda.  I do
have a mouse loopback hooked up to compensate for the lack of a mouse, but the
NetBSD kernel is apparently looking for the actual mouse, and it just hangs at
that point in the boot process. The alternative is to yank the framebuffer,
and boot with the serial console, but I don't have a cable with an MMJ
connector, either.
    So, my question:  Where can I get a) a mouse, b) an MMJ-to-MMJ cable to
hook up a terminal, and/or c) an MMJ-to-DB25 cable to hook to my Amiga?
Alternatively, is there a way to force NetBSD to boot, anyway?