Subject: Kernel Tunables on NetBSD [network]
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/29/1997 09:03:48
I've got a DS5k/240 running 1.2G and have just setup it up as
a irc host (Dallas Undernet).  We've just got it linked up last
Friday and it's doing pretty well.

The system is stable, BTW Jonathan, I've got NKMEMCLUSTERS at 8192,
and haven't been able to exhaust memory, yet.  With 430 irc clients
on it, it's  running with a load average in the .99 to 1.2 range.
It's all network as you might can imagine.

I was wondering is there some kernel knobs that can be turned to
improve performance on this application?  The machine has 128meg
of ram, and from the following ps you can see it's mostly waiting
on network I/O.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TT  STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND
ircd      7888 85.7 16.0 20052 20268 ??  RN    2:01PM  980:23.20 ircd

% netstat -m
516 mbufs in use:
        516 mbufs allocated to data
70/454 mapped pages in use
972 Kbytes allocated to network (21% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Any ideas?