Subject: Re: Serial console on DS3100
To: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
From: None <davidb@melb.convergent.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/24/1997 14:15:44
> I've got a boatload of DECstation 3100s that I'm trying to test and I need
> to enable the serial console.

I'd say this has well and truly made it to FAQ status...

> Someone else mentioned something about a loopback device for the mouse to
> force serial console.  Does anyone know anything about this?

The loopback device tells the PROM not to care about the mouse or
keyboard.  Otherwise the machines will lock up at the POST stage
without them.  It doesn't force serial console.

You can force the PROM's idea of where the console is using "setenv console",
but my experience is that this becomes very confusing and fraught with
error.

My preferred method is to leave the console variable alone, and just remove
the VRAM SIMM.  That way the serial port becomes the console automatically
(just make sure you're looking at the correct serial port).  The lack of a
graphics board also means that the OS will make the same decision.

If you want to have a functioning X station but have the console on a
serial port, that's when I'd start playing with "setenv console"...

Of course, someone might present contrary arguments, but I try to
keep it simple.  It also means that you don't have to keep a
screen/mouse/keyboard handy after a battery failure or configure a
new box.
__
David Burren