Subject: Serial console on DS3100
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/23/1997 23:41:40
I've got a boatload of DECstation 3100s that I'm trying to test and I need
to enable the serial console.

Reading the mailing list archives, it seems I need to type:

enable tty(2)
setenv console 4

To enable the console on the modem port.  This doesn't do anything which
is what has me confused.

I've tested the serial ports on the DS3100 I'm testing from (by looping
the cable between the printer and serial ports and running kermit on both
ends) and I'd expect to see something when I reset the machine after
typing the above.

Someone else mentioned something about a loopback device for the mouse to
force serial console.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/