Subject: Re: DecStation 5000/120
To: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1997 14:57:02
Chuck Robey writes:
> I got a very cheap DecStation 5000/120 from the excess equipment store
> here at the University of Maryland, and I wanted to see if maybe I could
> run NetBSD on it.  I'm currently taking a course here involving some
> assembly language R3000 coding, and thought it would make a dandy
> platform.  I've read what I could find so far, and gotten some hint that
> this might be a kinda anemic machine (even for my limited goals).

You can get a CPU upgrade from the 20MHz R3000 to a 25MHz R3000 (making
it a 5000/125), 33Mhz R3000 (5000/133), or a 50Mhz R4000 (5000/150).

Some kind soul (who may even be a fellow reader of port-pmax :)
may have a few /133 CPUs left from upgrading to /150's

> Is that true?  Could someone tell me if there's some way for me to upgrade
> it without a bank loan, if it's true?  I'm also willing to purchase
> another disk for it, if anyone knows one that would be a good fit the the
> DEC controller and physical mounting, I'd appreciate that too.

A lot of the RZ series disks are rebadged Micropolis or Seagates.
I have a couple of RZ26N's at home, which are Seagate ST31200N's with
different ROMs. From memory I tried a real ST32400 on a DECstation and
it worked.

As to your other questions; there's probably answers available at
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/