Subject: DecStation 5000/120
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/21/1997 00:37:03
I tried posting this to -questions, got no response (even to redirect me
here) so I hope maybe this mgiht be the next correct place to try.  Please
tell me if it isn't, I don't want to spam this list innocently.

I got a very cheap DecStation 5000/120 from the excess equipment store
here at the University of Maryland, and I wanted to see if maybe I could
run NetBSD on it.  I'm currently taking a course here involving some
assembly language R3000 coding, and thought it would make a dandy
platform.  I've read what I could find so far, and gotten some hint that
this might be a kinda anemic machine (even for my limited goals).

Is that true?  Could someone tell me if there's some way for me to upgrade
it without a bank loan, if it's true?  I'm also willing to purchase
another disk for it, if anyone knows one that would be a good fit the the
DEC controller and physical mounting, I'd appreciate that too.

What version on NetBSD should I install on it?  I have 2 other Intel
machines here, running FreeBSD ... could I do a network install from them?

I run FreeBSD-current, I'm used to fixing my own problems, but I haven't
any idea where the common problems are in NetBSD ... should I avoid
current, at least at first?

If there's stuff to read, and you'd be kind enough to point me at it, I'll
stop bothering you until I've done my homework on it.  I'd kinda like to
do this somewhat quickly, before the semester goes too far.

Thanks for your time, guys.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |