Subject: Re: nfs kernel
To: Isaac Kohen <koheni@vortex.bxscience.edu.bxscience.edu.anim.dreamworks.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/13/1997 12:45:26
> Hi NetBSD'ers,
>
> I managed to install the distribution
> on a linux box which is running bootpd,
> rarp, nfsd, bootparamd. I can boot
> and work on the netbsd machine fine.
> i compiled a generic kernel and put it in
> / on the netbsd box (/export/root/ on the linux box).
> I am still using the generic netbsd nfs kernel
> to netboot. when I do a ps, I get:
> # ps
> ps: proc size mismatch (8424 total, 664 chunks)
> #
>
> similar error when I do w.

	ps & friends use libkvm to read values form the kernel.
	libkvm looks at /netbsd to determine where in kernel
	memory to find things. If the running kernel is different
	from /netbsd, then libvm breaks as it will be looking
	in the wrong place. Its not toatally clear, but could this
	be the problem you are seeing?

> Can I compile a custom netbds - root on nfs
> kernel? if so, how? i have not seen the option
> on the kernel config.. Is the kernel the problem
> here? What about the kernel in the dec's root (/export/root)?
> is that the generic, custom or nfsgeneric?

	The kernel in the dec's root should always be the same as the
	one netbooted.

	You do not mention which version you are running - I would expect
	the bet option to be run the snapshot at
	ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot , in which you
	should just be able to use one of the provided kernels...

	Good luck! :)