Subject: userland make build vs. ldconfig
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/03/1997 11:01:23
Well, nobody's sent me mail telling me to stop posting this junk, even
when I ask stupid questions, so here goes:

The story thus far is that I installed the latest snapshot onto an empty
disk, then added the 19-aug source tree.  I built and successfully booted
the kernel, and then began a userland "make build".  I have a few other
things to report, but for now, I'll just report on ldconfig:

1)  there is no ldconfig in src/sbin

2)  there *is* one in src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/ldconfig; however, it appears to be
	incomplete and isn't for the pmax anyway, to judge by the Makefile

3)  however, the "make build" *did* take the trouble to install the GNU
	ldconfig's man page ldconfig.8; that'd be OK except that the man
	page doesn't match up with the ldconfig on the snapshot :-)

4)  finally, the GNU ldconfig Makefile defines BINDIR as /sbin, but the
	sources are in usr.bin, which seems inconsistent

This is all just FYI.  I'm up and running on a full source code system
(well, except for ldconfig :-) for the first time since the summer of '85.
Color me happy, and thanks very much to all the folks who have been a part
of this monumental effort.

Is there a "to do" list somewhere that I can try to pick a few items off,
so I can contribute something?

Terry

terry@venus.sunquest.com