Subject: Re: FPU Performance on DECstation 5000/125
To: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/26/1997 04:59:33
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:50:38 +1000 (EST),
   Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au> writes:

> Is the FPU enabled properly in 1.2G?

Gosh, I hope so. If not, I guess the FP emulation is really, really robust.

Hm. Maybe you're using denorms a lot, and the emulation code isn't as
well-tuned as Ultrix??  The sure way to find out is to add some
instrumentation to the kernel trap handlers and interrupt code, in
interrupt() and trap() in sys/arch/mips/mips/trap.c.

> Which brings me to my second >qn..
>
>Every time we go to compile the kernel the config program stops about mid
>way with various problems.. what are we doing wrong?

Rebuild and reinstall /usr/sbin/config.  This is usually due to
running old versions of config against new config files.  We deleted
the statically-configured default swap partition; swap partitions (or
files) are now configured dynamically.

If that doesn't work, sup new sources and/or get a snapshot with a
recent /usr/sbin/config.