Subject: Newer toolchain than the snapshot?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/19/1997 16:29:28
I'm running a 'make build' on a DECStation 5000/25 now, and I noticed a
bunch of the following (assembler) warnings while building the profiled
libc:

	Warning: No .cprestore pseudo-op used in PIC code

Does anyone know exactly what this means?  I'm relatively new to
NetBSD/pmax (I am more familiar with NetBSD/mac68k :-).  I'm also
curious why -DPIC is being used for profiling code.

I've also run into problems with perl, tcsh and bash where it appears
that their private versions of malloc(), free(), etc. are not fully
overriding the ones in the shared libc.  That's a guess.  If I compile
them dynamic, they don't work right (bad block messages from their
private allocators--or just failure in the perl tests).  When I link
them statically, the work fine.

So I'm wondering if the toolchain and/or ld.so/rtld is operating
properly and if I should be looking at rebuilding the toolchain right
now instead of the NetBSD sources.

Any thoughts?  I've looked back a couple of weeks into the archives
and have seen references to the tcsh and possibly perl problems, but
no resolutions or other discussion.

Thanks,
-allen

PS.  I was unable to get this particular DECStation to boot from the
     network at all--with either tftp or mopd.  Just a note...

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com