Subject: Another 2100 question...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/11/1997 01:18:05
BTW, DECstation 2100 (KN01) w/ prom version 7.0:

Can this machine net boot at all? My roommate's machine is 7.0 and doesn't
seem to be able to boot off the net. My mine (7.02) boots a kernel < 1Mb
off the net just fine via tftp().

He managed to get it to at least do some form of arp, so we know the interface
works. Also, the Ultrix kernel doesn't barf when it configs the interface.

Would a bridge (don't ask) keep tftp or bootp from working? It's one network
with a bridge (again, don't ask) in the middle of it.

His machine boots the Ultrix image on his disk just fine (up until it gets
to the part where it asks for a password, doh!).

BTW, is it possible to break into an Ultrix box that requires a password for
single user mode? I think I remember a jumper on the motherboard that resets
things so you can, but then again our 2100 machines don't even have the
removable graphics boards that other people seem to have.

Thanks guys.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/