Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/125 experiences...
To: None <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/30/1997 10:11:45
>From: Karl Maftoum <k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au>
>
>1. With X, I am constantly getting "unable to configure keyboard/mouse",
>what is causing this? I changed the minor numbers of tty00 and tty01 (as
>per something in the archive) but still to no avail. I also noticed that
>/dev/mouse has to be linked to /dev/fb0, this is not mentioned in the
>MAKEDEV script however :)

I have a machine that formerly had a monitor, then didn't have one for
a while, during which time I used a serial console and rebuilt
-current kernels a few times.  When I got the monitor back, I couldn't
start X, and got the same message you're seeing.

It seemed to "fix itself" when I supped and rebuilt my kernel and
userland, on July 21.  Perhaps a bug was fixed around that time -- the
snapshot kernel on ftp.netbsd.org is dated the 22nd, but may be from
earlier sources.

>2. My own account on the machine is in group 0 (wheel) and still I get
>"You are not in the correct group to su root" what have i done wrong?

Are you sure the /etc/groups entry is formatted properly?

What output do you get when you use the "groups" command?

This message may refer to a product containing software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.