Subject: Re: Anyone had problems with recent TCP SYN-cache changes?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/25/1997 09:05:10
On Jul 25,  1:53am, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Has anyone tried the new compressed TCP state engine (SYN_cache) in
> yesterday's sup?
>
> I tried building a kernel from today's sup and the kernel crashed when
> I first tried to open a TCP connection (xterm) to it. The machine is
> remote, and I can't get even a DDB prompt, so I can't debug it right now...

  I built a kernel from Thursday's sup and was running it on both my 5000/25
and 5000/50.  Both systems crashed with a kernel stack overflow (which appears
to be a real stack overflow).  I had dumped out the stack on the 5000/50
using DDB [raw hex, since the stack traceback doesn't work once the stack
overflows], and was trying to clean up the output to analyze it by hand.
I was doing this on the 5000/25 when it crashed.  The 5000/50 didn't
recover from the crash and hung, and I decided not not mess with the 5000/25
until I could physically reset the machine.

  I've backed up to the previous kernel on the 5000/50 and will try to
see if I can manually decode a stack traceback from the DDB dump.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant