Subject: Re: panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Funk <rfunk@peri.acs.ohio-state.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/24/1997 10:20:16
Gregory McGarry wrote:
>I always get the following panic when compiling a new kernel on
>a DS5000/25 with the latest snapshot:
>
>  panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map

I just got that when first trying to untar the /usr/src/sys directory
(just retrieved from ftp.netbsd.org) from NFS to a local rz57 disk.
My second attempt was successful.  This is on a 5000/260 with 160M of
memory.  (If that's not enough memory I'm going off to live in the
Montana wilderness.)  I just installed this thing yesterday, so almost
nothing is running on it, not even X.  (Though I couldn't tell you
exactly what's running since ps doesn't work: "ps: proc size mismatch
(1280 total, 648 chunks)")

uname -a gives:
NetBSD beauty 1.2G NetBSD 1.2G (GENERIC) #1: Sun Jun 22 21:35:15 PDT 1997     jonathan@Reno.DSG.Stanford.EDU:/reno/compile/GENERIC pmax

(Yes, I'm new to NetBSD, but not to Unix.)
--
Rob Funk  <rfunk@peri.acs.ohio-state.edu>
The Ohio State University