Subject: Kernel config in -current questions
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: STEVE LUMOS <slumos@nevada.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/24/1997 02:31:07
We just upgraded to the latest snapshot, but can't build a kernel yet
(using source supped on the 22nd I think), because I can't find
information on what the config line is supposed to look like.

I tried searching the mailing list archive, but unfortunately the
original announcement doesn't say anything more useful than "config and
swap was changed", and there are dozens of messages with the same
subject as the announcement talking about bootp, tftp, etc, so I gave
up.

I know I have to add a swap line to /etc/fstab (done), I know I need to
call swapctl in /etc/rc (not done yet).  What I don't know is what the
current syntax of the config line is.  The config file for GENERIC says:

# Note that this configuration is unlikely to work, yet...
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

and the NEWCONF config is out of date.  Should I just use what GENERIC
uses, or am I supposed to do "root on rz0a type ffs".  What about dumps?
Are we currently transitioning?

The other question I have is about debugging.  I saw something recently
here about DDB.  Does that mean DDB is now working on PMAX? Also, has
anyone successfully built a kernel with the KGDB options uncommented?

Thanks.

Steve