Subject: Re: Random hangs
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1997 14:57:33
On "Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:38:12 -0700", Ted Lemon
    <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>  writes:

>I've seen this too, but thought it might be fixed on a more recent
>version of -current.   I believe it has to do with the SCSI
>controller, but haven't had time to isolate it any further than that.

hi Ted,

How recent are you talking about?  There were some interrupt-relates
changes back in April(?), but those would not have affected the have
affected the 3MIN at all, since it still uses splhigh() for all spl
levels.

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:38:51 -0700, Ted Lemon writes:

>Oops, although if it has to do with the 3100, then either it's not
>SCSI or it's not the same hang, because I'm running a 5000/133, which
>has a different SCSI controller.   :'(

I'v exchanged a couple of e-mails with Jason Wright; it sounds very
much like lack of swap space may be a contributing factor in that case.

It's almost getting to be an FAQ to:
	* add fstab entries for swap partitions:
		/dev/rz0b none   swap sw 0 0
	* make sure the your rz?b swap partitions labelled as swap
	  (via disklabel -e)

	* check that the swap partitions are in use, via
	  swapctl -l or pstat -s.  Does that show them?

For what it's worth I've been doing make -j3 kernel builds and (cd
/usr/src; make build) on a 5000/240 all weekend....