Subject: Re: NetBSD NFS root
To: Gregory McGarry <gmcgarry@lux.sprc.qut.edu.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/15/1997 13:35:31
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:35:25 +1000 (EST)  Gregory McGarry wrote:

> It works!
>
> Specify swap, remove tabs, end with /, and rpc.bootparamd works.
> Ensure all files in NFS partition are owned by root & make
> sure init is rwx.
>
> I do recall Linux rpc.bootparamd no working too well when there
> were tabs in /etc/bootparms.  Maybe Solaris also?  It was
> Jonathan's comment about removing tabs...

Here's a cut'n'paste of my ultrix /etc/bootparams from vi after
":set list":

mona^Iroot=balrog:/dlboot0/mona.root \$
^Iswap=balrog:/dlswap/mona$
$
vlad^Iroot=balrog:/dlboot0/vlad.root \$
^Iswap=balrog:/dlswap/vlad$

My ultrix rpc.bootparamd is just a hacked NetBSD one from late '95, so
at lease one program understands (or used to understand) tabs :-)

> It still won't complete /sbin/init, but I feel I am not far off.
> At least it appears I don't have any more hardware/network problems!

Do you have a console device in your dev directory? cd to the
<client-root-dir>/dev directory on your fileserver and run
"./MAKEDEV std".

Simon.