Subject: Re: working ECOFF tftpboot on 3MIN, MAXINE [was Re: prom version]
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/07/1997 11:26:25
> A kernel built with today's elf2ecoff works fine on my 5000/150.  I've
> put the binary on ftp.netbsd.org.  If someone (Tohru Nisimura or
> Gregory McGarry or anyone else) could try running elf2ecoff on an ELF
> kernel, TFTPbooting the resulting ECOFF kernel, please let me know if
> it works.

I tried to TFTPboot with DS5000/25 and got a positive result.  It
could start booting off after successful TFTP downloading.

One glitch in my case; as I don't have most recent -current source
code set, I created an ECOFF kernel image from my own 1.2E kernel for
local disk boot.  The resulting ECOFF kernel refused to proceed at the
very last stage;

> Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
> rz2 at asc0 drive 2 slave 0 DEC RZ25     (C) DEC rev 0900, 832527 512 byte blocks
> boot device: <unknown>
> root device:

At this point keyboard input got frozen.  I think I've once seen a
single error message: 'keyboard intr error' something, but in many
cases it just locked up.  Jonathan, could you provide me your
nfsnetbsd.ecoff image?

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology