Subject: Re: Newbie with choices
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew M. Sarangan <sarangan@unm.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/23/1997 10:40:50
In article <33A89F7F.C1C@bozonet.com>, mark gillis  <mg@bozonet.com> wrote:
>I'm new to this newsgroup so I apologise if this question has been
>answered before... I want to get some of my private lisc. in a
>taildragger, a cub or a super cub. I have found a school that will train
>me but they are about 300 miles away. Should I
>1. forget about it and go with a local CFI (and his 152)
>2. pay the fees to have the plane come up here once a month and train
>for two or three days while putting the CFI up in a local hotel
>3. travel there and "live" at the FBO for a few days a month, getting my
>training there.
>
>I am a believer in spending a year at this to get the best training I
>can...plus I plan on working a super cub out of a grass strip on my
>property (eventually)

When you area learning to fly, all airplanes will more or less fly alike.
Only when you get proficient do you start to notice the differences.
So I don't see why you have to go through all that hassle so that you
can train in your favourtie airplane.

If I were you, I would get my license at the local FBO (on the 152).
After that, I would go to the 300mile FBO and get checked out in their
tail-dragger.

This is a much better, cheaper and hassle free option.

Remember, this is all about having fun. The training phase is not something
to be "gotten over with". The 300 mile commute, putting the CFI in a hotel,
etc., might become a pain in the neck after a while.

--
Andrew Sarangan
PhD, PP-ASEL