Subject: Re: Booting/Installing NetBSD on my DECstation 5000/120
To: Matt Nichols <kgb@primenet.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/23/1997 14:37:30
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:22:05 -0700  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Hi again Matt,
>
> I think you *really* need the nfsnetbsd.ecoff file.  Not the
> netbsd.ecoff file. They are just not the same.
>
> nfsnetbsd.ecoff is a kernel with stripped-down functionality to help
> it boot on DECstations with buggy PROMs.  The normal kernel (netbsd or
> netbsd.ecoff) is too big for some PROMs to netboot.  Also,
> netbsd.ecoff might not have the code to mount its root partition via
> NFS.  (That's what the 'nfs' prefix is supposed to convey.)
>
> I'll try this evening, and see if net-booting a current netbsd.ecoff,
> and giving it a root on NFS actually works.  I've never actually tried
> it yet.

I'm currently using the same pretty-much generic kernel for both net
booting and diskfull booting without any hassles, except I'm loading the
kernel via mop.  The kernel was too big for tftp.

Matt - do you have a mopd for whatever system you're booting off (I
can't recall if it was NetBSD or Linux - or even if you mentioned it)?
On Ultrix (and I'd guess DEC unix - do they still use MOP?) it's really
simple - do a:

	addnode <machine> -h <enet-addr> -l <path to ecoff kernel>

and then "boot 3/mop" in the machine.

Simon.