Subject: Re: Booting/Installing NetBSD on my DECstation 5000/120
To: Matt Nichols <kgb@primenet.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/22/1997 21:22:05
>Thanks for the info!
>I'm going to attempt to boot a 'netbsd.ecoff'
>Unfortunatly my HD on my DS is internal. So i will have to netboot the
>kernel. This should be no problem , five minutes ago i netbooted a
half-working Linux/MIPS kernel over netboot, served from my Linux machine.

Hi again Matt,

I think you *really* need the nfsnetbsd.ecoff file.  Not the
netbsd.ecoff file. They are just not the same.

nfsnetbsd.ecoff is a kernel with stripped-down functionality to help
it boot on DECstations with buggy PROMs.  The normal kernel (netbsd or
netbsd.ecoff) is too big for some PROMs to netboot.  Also,
netbsd.ecoff might not have the code to mount its root partition via
NFS.  (That's what the 'nfs' prefix is supposed to convey.)

I'll try this evening, and see if net-booting a current netbsd.ecoff,
and giving it a root on NFS actually works.  I've never actually tried
it yet.

>I'm still a little unsure about how im actualy going to get NetBSD
>installed on the DECstation after I have booted the kernel.

There's a description of where to get started on
http://www.netbsd.org/. Just follow the links to the pmax page, and
look at the installation guide.  There's also hard-copy installation
notes that came with 1.2.

To install, you will need to get the binary tarballs from
ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/*.tar.gz, or a recent
mirror.  You'll probably also want the X11 clients and Xserver;
see ported-software-x11r6.3/ wherever you got the other tar files.

Then, you need to get a NetBSD kernel booted, and get your disk
labelled. then mount partitions for /var and /usr,
	cd to /
(don't forget that!) and upanck the tarballs with
	tar --unlink -xpzf <tarball>.tar.gz.

There should be installation scripts for 1.3. that automate this for
NetBSD 1.3, at least automated as much as any other NetBSD port.