Subject: Re: net boot loader
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/18/1997 12:09:14
Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au> wrote

> Has there been any thought or work into making a two stage network boot
> loader that can load an elf (preferably) or a.out kernel?
>
> I'm asking because I'm finding it annoying to have to make an ecoff
> kernel to boot my machines diskless, that have to be copied to the right
> tftp area.

Try libsa and produce stand/netboot/* things.  NetBSD libsa is a
versatile framework to build standalone utilities without any burdens.
Combined with libsa and several MD hooks, it should not be a tough
project to make netboot (w/ any protocol you want), ufsboot and
tapeboot.

I guess forthcoming NetBSD/pmax 1.3 kernel will be still a.out, not
ELF.  ELF kernel and ELF ufsboot/netboot will be due same time.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology